what’s good this weekend…
i was gonna write about the whole weekend but there’s too much going on tonight. i’m djing at a student party and a latin party, plus James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem is in town. it’s hairy crab season, and we just had a proper thunderstorm. looking clear now..
1) 12th Planet at G-Plus – had no idea 12th planet was playing at G+ tonight. This literally wasn’t promoted at all that I know of. This could be an entertaining show because:
a) G-plus has a huge soundsystem, much bigger than Shelter or Dada*, and I’ve always wondered what dubstep would sound like in there.
*but G+, despite it’s massive soundsystem, plays obnoxious music at dangerous volumes, whereas the latter two venues play the best music in Shanghai.
b) this is the first big dubstep booking in shanghai at a venue other than Shelter or Dada.
c) High potential for high-roller customers/the club not feeling the brostep and asking 12th Planet to play that Chinese-club electrohouse-remix shit that and some kind of showdown/walkout/other scene ensuing.
2) Ellen’s Got Crabs 2 @ Ellen’s – I’m heading here right after work. Dive bar right by the East China Normal University (ECNC) Campus. There’s free beer from 6PM – 7PM. Lot of students, cheap pizza and shakes, and me and some other peeps DJing and chillin. Right by Jinshajiang Lu subway station line 3.
Actually there are no crabs, it’s a trick! But it’s almost crab season and that makes me realize I’ve been in Shanghai for so long because the yellow crab harvest is like the leaves falling in Michigan.
3) Popasuda @ Dada – Self-promotion here cause I usually play this party, including tonight. Sal & I play Latin music, reggae, futuristic shit from South Africa, cumbia, moobahton all night. No dubstep or house, possibly a few hip hop drops in there too but not much. We’ve got my old roommate and mario kart teammate The Uhhh coming by for a rare, rare set outside of his TICT parties too. Definitely come down before or after the LCD Soundsystem ting, or just avoid the crowd and kick it with us all night in some other hemispheres.
4) James Murphy @ O’Maileys – Yep. You know about this. The head of DFA records, the head of the legendary LCD Soundsystem…He’s in town, playing at a “mega-rave” at O’Maileys, which is actually a sweet venue for a ton of people outside if this rain lets up. The man is playing 11:30 – 1:30, hope I can catch some of the set. It’s sold out but there’s still tickets for that at the door, 200RMB.
5) Oil Works Showcase at Shelter – Japanese record label/art gang showcasing ten years of their work. They’ve released some of Hamacide’s work and lots more. DJ + VJ sets down there.
there’s probably something else going on, like a euro bro playing tech house at some cool place, or a party with an
awesome *epic* theme like stripper-nurses and soccer players or housewives and war vets…i dunno mane, i dunno. see you on the streets tonight.