i dunno, mane. i’ve been sick and homebound for days and days. feelin like Old Yeller. more on this in the next post.
1) Skrillex is coming to town @ G+ Saturday night, and while I honestly do wanna go to see what his live show is like, tickets are over $100 US, a price I would pay to see:
a) Prince, anywhere
b) Lil B in a small venue with like, 100 person capacity
c) Raw Power era Stooges
d) Surfer Rosa-era Pixies
e) Banana album era Velvet Underground
f) Bowie, anytime before the 80s really.
Skrillex not on that list.
2) Hip Hop Hijack @ Zeal Friday night – should be a good night of hip hop from my friends and guest DJ Scratch, who produced for EPMD, Busta Rhymes, and others. If you don’t wanna hear house tonight, this is probably your best bet
3) Acid Pony Club @ Dada Friday night – if you DO want to hear house music, this is the place. Great tunes by my neighbors, who I constantly run into on my building’s front steps like some 1970s sitcom set in NY called “We’re Ze New Immigrants!”
4) I’m DJing @ Mural Friday from 10PM – midnight. I love playing warm up sets, and I haven’t really been out of my house in five days (except the two restaurants and supermarkets downstairs..i finally understand “convenience).
5) Lo-Fi @ Arcade Friday Night – Downtempo triply shit and great, albeit taxed, cocktails and Dead Guy Ale on draft. Really good tunes by my buddy ADO8, plus Hamacide and R3.
6) DJ Alta Birthday Spectacular @ Lune, Saturday – Ok it’s not called that but it is his birthday and he’s DJing at Lune, which seems to be getting better and better (though the sound system still isn’t quite there is it?). Bass-heavy electronic music from the United Kingdom by some people and… some other people, innit.
(christ, there’s lots on this weekend)
7) Juan MacLean @ Shelter, Saturday – Straight from NYC and DFA Records, this is good house music. Brought to you by Ding Dong Disco, a Euro-dance DJ crew who apathetically play [and trainwreck] vinyl because it’s cooler but DO bring some great artists over, e.g. these guys, Levon Vincent, that one guy from Detroit…
8 ) Stay at home, eat oatmeal, and draw cartoons and think about making some beats or a mix or something.
and here’s a track you may have missed. i did. thanks to Bicep for closing one of their sets with this gem.
Daft Punk – Face To Face