a lot of people will travel to the netherworld of Pudong to see DJ Shadow play tmmr night. And yeah, Entroducting was really ill, he’s a legend, etc…
but for me, the show at Yuyintang looks much better. for one, i’m sick of seeing DJs. need to see some proper live music. two, PAIRS are my favorite live band in Shanghai. it’s the homeboy Rhys on drums and vocals, and F on guitar. Simple arrangement, really intense set. roughly 25 – 30 minutes of fucking raw rock and roll. there’s other bands playing too.
and it’s only RMB20, with their new album Summer Sweat available for donations. that + street beer > going to fuck-all pudong. PAIRS are on at about 11. Suggest earplugs and aforementioned street-beers.
Here’s a couple tracks from that new album:
PAIRS – Chiko
PAIRS – Cloud Nine
I asked Rhys three questions yesterday.
1. Heatwolves: if you had a playlist called sexual seduction, what would be the top five tracks on there?
1. Kes Band – Gentle Elf
2. Outkast – Ms. Jackson
3. Shellac – Prayer to god
4. The National – Conversation 16
5. Royal Headache – Honey Joy
2. Heatwolves: If you were in charge of black rabbit, which five acts would you bring (remembering that the festival tries to cater to everyone)?
Rhys: Not sure how I feel about this cater to everyone. Broad strokes are good, but I’d get worried about spreading myself too thin. I’d pick Royal Headache, The Go!Team, Li’l Wayne, Slipknot and Fuck Buttons.
3. Heatwolves: PAIRS gets to tour the world, and you can stop at any place, at any time, e.g. London 1213 then Tokyo 2056. Which five spots do you go to? also why, if possible.
Bendigo, Australia 2060 – just to see what’s not happening and what hasn’t changed.
Tianjin 3000 – visit the old haunts and swing on that swing chair in 13 Club.New York, anytime – just gotta go there, really. Sex and the City tour.
Shanghai 2011 so I could be part of the Hotter Then Teppanyaki set again, Fuck Pairs.